From the 15th of October 2014 new rules will mean traffic accidents where your car needs to be towed – in circumstances where no one is injured, all parties exchange particulars and no one is under the influence of drugs or alcohol –  can now organise their own tow and later report the crash to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

Key changes will include:

Police will need to be called to attend and investigate crashes that fall into the below criteria:

1. Where a person is killed or injured;

2. Parties fail to exchange particulars;

3. A driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Police will also attend to direct traffic and deal with hazards or debris on the road, as well as assist with the tow of heavy vehicles.

Currently they attend and investigate where a person is killed or injured; parties fail to exchange particulars; a driver is under the influence; or, a vehicle involved requires towing from the scene.

From 15 October 2014, in such instances if a vehicle requires towing from the scene and no one is injured or under the influence, and all parties exchange details:

Motorists should organise their own tow and have their vehicle removed from the scene as quickly and safely as possible. Once this has occurred they should report the crash to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

Also, from 15 October 2014:

Reports of ‘minor’ traffic crashes –where vehicles do not require towing – will no longer require a police record to be made. Police event numbers will no longer be issued for these incidents.

For more information view this PDF brochure.

Information taken from

Have you been severley injured in a car accident and not happy with your lawyer? Contact PK.

Frequently Asked Questions

A: If you’ve had a motor car accident, stop your vehicle and turn on your hazard lights. Make sure nobody is injured, and if so, call emergency 000 and remain at the scene of the accident. If it’s a minor incident you don’t need to call the police, but move the damaged cars if possible. Never admit responsibility even if you think you were at fault. Collect name, address, registration number and insurance details from the other parties and get witness details if possible.
A: Motor accident compensation claims are normally finalised after you’ve recovered, or your injuries have stabilised. It can take some people longer to recover than others – from days to years – which determines the length of time it can take to finalise a claim. Also, your injuries may not always appear immediately after the accident and can take some time to appear, in some cases, years.

A: In a carpark, anyone driving in the lanes has the right of way, so if you’re the one pulling out of the car space and hit another motor vehicle, you are likely to be the majority at fault in the accident. However, since both cars are moving, both drivers might hold some responsibility. But if you hit a parked car, you are likely at fault.

A: When lodging a claim for compensation after a motor vehicle accident it’s best to do it as soon as possible. However, it isn’t always feasible if you were severely injured and couldn’t file a claim straight away. There are time limits, however, so get someone to call a lawyer at PK Simpson for you to lodge a claim at least within six months of the crash.

A: The length of time you have to make your claim depends on the jurisdiction.

For instance:

  • TPD claims – these may be commenced up to 10 years after you’ve stopped work. TPD claims are very technical and you may have more than one TPD claim.
  • Car accident claims – A personal injury claim form should be filled in and sent to your CTP insurer as early as possible, but must be no later than six months from the date of your accident. HOWEVER, out of time claims may be made. New NSW CTP laws have made it difficult for injured people and many law firms still do not understand how to run new claims under these laws – so call us at PK Simpson Sydney as soon as possible.
  • Workers compensation claims – You should contact a lawyer within six months of the accident. But remember, out of time claims can be handled by PK Simpson Sydney. We can help you get the treatment required to build your claim.
  • Slip ‘n’ fall/occupiers liability claims – Your claim must be lodged usually within three years of the date of your accident.

Medical Negligence – within three years of the date of when the cause of action was discoverable to our client OR 12 years from the time of the act or omission which caused the injury through negligence.

A: At PK Simpson compensation lawyers we operate on a no-win, no-fee basis. However, for detailed information on the legal costs that can be charged for statutory benefits CTP Insurance car accident claims in NSW click on this link.