Slip, trip or fall injuries

Public and occupier liability is an area of law that covers a wide range of accidents that may have occurred due to another person’s negligence and fault. If you have been injured in a slip, trip or fall accident that you believe was caused by the negligence of the occupier or owner of the property, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries. Speak to a lawyer specialising in public and occupiers liability law at PK Simpson today.

Slips, trips and falls

Slip, trip and falls are the most common type of accident claim in public and occupiers liability law. These accidents can happen anywhere at any time.

We handle a wide range of slip and fall cases, including accidents that occur due to trip hazards, slippery floor surfaces at supermarkets and shopping centres, restaurants, pubs, clubs and cafes, on the footpath, in schools and other public buildings and places, private homes and rental properties.

We can also assist with slip, trip and fall accidents on the floor surface of a ferry and on party boats, ensuring you receive legal representation and guidance tailored to your situation.

What kind of compensation can I expect?

    Injured in an accident?

    Speak with our team today...

    What’s the difference between public and occupier liability?

    Our expertise encompasses a comprehensive risk management process, which involves identifying fall hazards such as slippery floors and ground surfaces that may cause accidents and conducting thorough risk assessments to evaluate these incidents’ circumstances.

    This enables us to skillfully address cases that cause serious injuries , such as accidents caused by loose mats, wet and slippery surfaces, hazardous floor surfaces and other potential ground surfaces.


    What to do when you are injured at a restaurant?

    If you sustain an injury due to a slip and fall incident taking specific steps to protect your rights and potential legal claim is important.

    1. Document the scene and your injuries. Take photographs of the accident scene, paying close attention to hazardous conditions like slippery surfaces or uneven flooring. Also, thoroughly document your health condition, noting any immediate injuries such as pain, swelling, or bruising resulting from slips, trips, and falls.
    2. Collect contact information from any witnesses. The statements of witnesses and workers can be valuable for building your case.
    3. Report the incident to staff and ensure they create an incident report. This will create a record of the accident and may help you to attain compensation for your injuries.
    4. Refrain from making any formal statements or accepting blame. Speaking to a lawyer before making any statements about the accident is important.
    5. Consult with a slip-and-fall PK Simpson lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options and to pursue a claim for compensation.

    What can I do if my child is injured at their school?

    If your child sustains an injury at school, taking certain steps to ensure their well-being and protect their legal rights is important.

    1. Contact the school to inform them of the incident. This will help them to understand the details from their perspective and to take steps to prevent similar accidents from happening in the future.
    2. Document the circumstances surrounding the injury. This involves taking detailed photographs of the scene and paying close attention to any hazardous conditions, such as wet floors, uneven edges, or wet areas, that might have played a role in the incident. Additionally, gather comprehensive information about any witnesses or staff members present during the occurrence. This documentation will prove essential when managing slips and falls.
    3. Communicate with the school to learn about their procedures for incident reporting and investigation, particularly their process for identifying hazards and implementing preventative measures. Inquire about their use of warning signs in areas prone to hazards, such as wet floors or uneven surfaces, and their protocols for responding to and mitigating such risks. This transparent exchange of information is crucial for preventing serious injury and addressing any concerns promptly and effectively.
    4. Consult with a lawyer. We can provide legal guidance and assist in conducting a thorough risk assessment of the incident, evaluating factors that may have contributed to the injury, and determining the school’s potential liability.

    Managing Risks By Identifying Hazards

    If you are involved in an accident that occurs in a  restaurant , shopping centre , supermarket or other premises that you believe may be covered by public and occupiers liability insurance, it is important to protect yourself. You should reach out to a PK Simpson specilaist as soon as possible.

    Public and occupier liability is a complex area of law, and it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side to help you understand your rights and options. A lawyer can also help you to gather evidence and build a strong case.

    Here are some examples of accidents that may be covered under public and occupiers liability:

    • Slips and falls
    • Accidents that occur at school, college, or university
    • Recreational accidents
    • Sporting or domestic accidents
    • Aviation accidents
    • Food poisoning
    • Animal attacks
    • Physical or sexual assault
    • Shopping centre accidents
    • Accidents in restaurants and cafes

    Make your claim and contact pk simpson today

    If you have suffered an injury due to a slip, trip, or fall and believe you may have a public liability claim, contact PK Simpson. We are sympathetic to your case and can advise you on what steps to take next. Visit our website or call 1300 411 596 and let our injury compensation lawyers work alongside you.

    Injured in an accident?

    Not sure what compensation you’re entitled to

    Use our online claim check to find out what your claim is worth

    Online Claim Check

    Product liability is a subcategory of public and occupiers liability which focuses on awarding compensation if you have been injured by deficient/unsafe products. You do not have to be the person who purchased the product to be covered as by law the manufacturer owes you a duty of care.

    If you have been injured because of an accident that occurred on public or owned property then you may be entitled to claim compensation. Your first priority is to report the accident to the authorities and subsequently get medical attention immediately. If possible you should also alert your health care provider of the circumstances. Your next step should be to contact an experienced lawyer who can advise you and on what you should do in order to make a claim.

    To make a public and occupiers liability claim we will collect evidence such as:

    • Photographs and diagrams of the accident location
    • All documentation between the person or organisation that is involved
    • Contact details for all parties involved (this includes yourself, witnesses, defendants andinsurance companies)

    Any information that relates to your injury may become useful as your claim progresses, so make sure that you keep all records and information that relates to your injury or accident. Contact PK Simpson for more advice on what you should do in order to make a claim, and get the best result possible.

    Although the amount of public and occupiers liability compensation is different from state to state the severity of the injury that you have suffered is used as a basis on which the level of compensation is based. Our occupiers’ and public liability lawyers will ensure the following.

    You may be entitled to:

    • Damages for pain and suffering (this can be up to $427,000)
    • Past and future medical expenses
    • Past and future loss of wages and superannuation payments
    • Past and future care that you may require
    • Miscellaneous expenses (such as home modifications, and wheelchairs)

    For public and occupiers liability claims, you have 3 years to lodge a claim from the date of your accident. It is vital that you contact a solicitor at PK Simpson as soon as possible. Any claim brought after 3 years, you will need the court’s permission to proceed.

    You’re in safe hands with us

    7 out of 10 clients are referred by our current clients.

    “I’m so happy to have found the team at PK Simpson. They helped me when I was going through one of the toughest times of my life. When my claim settled I ended up with a compensation payout which allowed me to keep my family home. Would recommend 100%”

    Sammy Dickson
    a month ago

    “I have received the cheque and paperwork. Thank you very much! I really appreciate what you have achieved.”

    Fred, Erskineville NSW
    a month ago

    “Thank you so much. I definitely will stay in touch. You always manage to help so thank you very much from both my father and I. We really appreciate your help and the whole team.”

    Rasha, Heckenberg
    a month ago

    “The very friendly team at PK Simpson has helped me complete three TPD claims. They have helped in all aspects from professional courtesy to contacting me in regards to appointments. I strongly recommend that you go with PK if you’re in need of any help.”

    Semi, Blacktown NSW
    a month ago

    “I am very, very thankful to PK Simpson for helping me get my TPD claim approved. This has changed my life. All my debts are paid off. I still have funds to secure my future.A very special thanks to my TPD solicitor and secretary for all the help and follow up you did.”

    Ahmed, West Hoxton NSW
    a month ago

    “I have received your letter with attached cheque. I wanted to thank you for finalising my matter so quickly. It is very much appreciated. All the best to my TPD team.”

    Kurt, Adelaide SA
    a month ago

    “Thank you so much I have gone through a lot. This will help me in a lot of ways physically and mentally. I’ve sent some flowers to show my appreciation.”

    Troy, Sydney
    a month ago

    Get in touch and find out what compensation you are owed.

      Injured in an accident?

      Speak with our team today...