ACCIDENTS HAPPEN to all of us and for a number of reasons. Having an accident in a public place and sustaining an injury from it can mean that you are entitled to Personal Injury Compensation. This area of law is called Occupiers Liability or Public Liability, depending on where it happened. Owners and occupiers of land and property in NSW have a legal duty to ensure visitors are not injured and are kept reasonably safe. In many cases the owner or occupier will have taken out occupiers’ liability insurance and when bringing a claim, the insurance company will make a payout rather than the owner or occupier.

Common places where injuries happen:

  • Shopping centres
  • Supermarkets
  • Restaurants / cafes
  • Hotels / resorts
  • Swimming pools
  • Parking lots
  • Bars / nightclubs / pubs
  • Sporting events
  • Roads and public pathways
  • Playgrounds, parks and sports centres
  • Gyms
  • Ferries
  • Cruise ships
  • Function boats
  • Schools

What Should You Do?

If you happen to fall over in a shopping centre or restaurant, report the incident to an employee and make a report. Take pictures of the site and anything you think may have contributed to the accident. Take down the contact details of anyone who witnessed the accident, or were at the scene. Remember, a picture tells a thousand words.

What Can You Claim?

You can claim personal injury compensation covering:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future economic loss
  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Loss of business profits
  • Medical expenses
  • Travel expenses
  • Paid services eg. A carer
  • Voluntary services provided by your family and friends assisting you with domestic chores, self care and travel to medical appointments.

Have you ever been injured?