Reporting car accidents in New South Wales underwent a number of changes last year. The amended legislation, which came into effect on October 15 2014, will affect anyone who is involved in a minor collision throughout the state.

Car accident reporting rules in NSW.

Car accident reporting rules in NSW.

Figures from Transport for NSW show speeding is the biggest cause of accidents in the state, with more than 4,090 people injured each year as a result of those exceeding the limit. Those living in metropolitan as opposed to country locations were also shown to be more vulnerable to crashes, making the services of compensation lawyers more crucial than ever.

So what exactly are the changes and how are they likely to affect residents of New South Wales?

  1. Police will no longer attend minor accidents

The police are no longer required to attend crashes that do not meet certain criteria. If nobody has been killed or injured and neither of the parties is under the influence of an intoxicating substance, then officers won’t be sent out to the scene. They also won’t attend if everyone involved in the accident has willingly given up their personal details.

  1. Insurance companies need to be contacted

In light of the new legislation, the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) urged every motorist to keep a contact number for their car insurance company on hand. They will be able to offer guidance but not necessarily the best information in regards to your compensation options. In availing of injury compensation, expert lawyers should be contacted who will help you get the maximum financial payout.

“However, motorists should not agree to their vehicle being towed to a smash repairer nominated by the tow truck driver without first talking to their insurer,” noted ICA CEO Rob Whelan.

  1. You need to arrange for your vehicle to be towed

It’s also the case that you will no longer have to inform the police if your vehicle needs to be towed. Instead, you must get in touch with a towing company yourself – only if you can’t secure their services are you required to tell the police.

  1. Inform police if injuries emerge

You might not detect any injuries at the time of the accident, but this doesn’t mean they won’t be detected at a later stage. If you do find yourself suffering as a result of the collision, make sure you inform the police as soon as possible and first and foremost contact PK.

Here at PK Simpson, we’re on hand to assist with any car accident compensation claims you might have. Our highly experienced team of no-win, no-fee lawyers will assist you in every step of the claims process and remove the stress of dealing with insurers. We will make sure you are seen by specialist, unbiased doctors who will help make sure your claim is a success.

Had a car accident in NSW? Contact us today. Car accident nsw and legal injury advice on 02 9299 1424.

Frequently Asked Questions

A: If you’ve had a motor car accident, stop your vehicle and turn on your hazard lights. Make sure nobody is injured, and if so, call emergency 000 and remain at the scene of the accident. If it’s a minor incident you don’t need to call the police, but move the damaged cars if possible. Never admit responsibility even if you think you were at fault. Collect name, address, registration number and insurance details from the other parties and get witness details if possible.
A: Motor accident compensation claims are normally finalised after you’ve recovered, or your injuries have stabilised. It can take some people longer to recover than others – from days to years – which determines the length of time it can take to finalise a claim. Also, your injuries may not always appear immediately after the accident and can take some time to appear, in some cases, years.

A: In a carpark, anyone driving in the lanes has the right of way, so if you’re the one pulling out of the car space and hit another motor vehicle, you are likely to be the majority at fault in the accident. However, since both cars are moving, both drivers might hold some responsibility. But if you hit a parked car, you are likely at fault.

A: When lodging a claim for compensation after a motor vehicle accident it’s best to do it as soon as possible. However, it isn’t always feasible if you were severely injured and couldn’t file a claim straight away. There are time limits, however, so get someone to call a lawyer at PK Simpson for you to lodge a claim at least within six months of the crash.

A: The length of time you have to make your claim depends on the jurisdiction.

For instance:

  • TPD claims – these may be commenced up to 10 years after you’ve stopped work. TPD claims are very technical and you may have more than one TPD claim.
  • Car accident claims – A personal injury claim form should be filled in and sent to your CTP insurer as early as possible, but must be no later than six months from the date of your accident. HOWEVER, out of time claims may be made. New NSW CTP laws have made it difficult for injured people and many law firms still do not understand how to run new claims under these laws – so call us at PK Simpson Sydney as soon as possible.
  • Workers compensation claims – You should contact a lawyer within six months of the accident. But remember, out of time claims can be handled by PK Simpson Sydney. We can help you get the treatment required to build your claim.
  • Slip ‘n’ fall/occupiers liability claims – Your claim must be lodged usually within three years of the date of your accident.

Medical Negligence – within three years of the date of when the cause of action was discoverable to our client OR 12 years from the time of the act or omission which caused the injury through negligence.

A: At PK Simpson compensation lawyers we operate on a no-win, no-fee basis. However, for detailed information on the legal costs that can be charged for statutory benefits CTP Insurance car accident claims in NSW click on this link.