Suffering an injury often means facing significant health problems that can persist for months and years following the accident. In some situations, your GP may decide they are no longer the most appropriate person to deal with your injury, in which case they might refer you to a pain specialist.

Pain specialists perform a range of roles to help with your injury compensation claim. Here at PK we have only the best.

Pain specialists perform a range of roles to help with your injury compensation claim. Here at PK we have only the best.

There are various different types of pain specialists in Australia, so the service you are allocated will depend on the type of injury and the treatment you need to lessen the effects.

What is pain?

Pain is, by its very nature, something that has an impact on a person’s everyday life. This is why many decide to enlist the help of compensation solicitors if they are suffering as a result of an accident whether at work, due to someone elses negligence in a public space or by way of a motor vehicle accident, which wasn’t their fault.

The International Association for the Study of Pain defines pain as “an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage”.

Pain is usually categorised as either acute or chronic. The former often occurs after surgery or some other trauma and unless treatment is sought, it could progress into chronic pain. The latter is more persistent and can often take considerable medical treatment to put right.

What are the most common types of pain specialist?

If you suffer from pain, there are some types of specialists you are likely to encounter, depending on the nature and severity of your condition.

Neurologists – Will treat any pain that results from problems with the nervous system. These include brain and spinal cord injuries. The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare reveals that one in 45 people with an acquired brain injury is limited in the activities they can get involved in.

Orthopaedic surgeons – These medical professionals are tasked with diagnosing and treating your injury. Whether you are suffering from pain in your ligaments, joints, bones, muscles or nerves, these experts will be tasked with pain management. We have a selection of highly experienced orthopeadic specialists who will assess your injury and provide valuable medical reports we use as evidence to serve on the insurer to make sure you are rewarded the maximum amount.

Physiotherapists – They will treat any physical symptoms that result from your pain and make it difficult for you to go about your day-to-day life. Figures from the Physiotherapy Board of Australia show as of June this year, there were 26,442 registered practitioners throughout the country. Due to the severity of many injuries we encounter we know that some injuries can only improve with time and that many people may never have the quality of life they once enjoyed or be able to work ever again. This is why we have specialist lawyers in the areas of total and permanent disability (TPD) to ensure every stone is turned and all available avenues of compensation are provided to you. Superfunds have insurance coverage which protects their members when they are unable to return to their usual occupation due to injury or illness.

Anaesthetists – An anaesthetist will be responsible for administering any medication you need to control pain, primarily before and after surgery.

Injury Compensation

If you are suffering from pain as a result of an accident, then get in touch with PK Simpson. Our no-win, no-fee lawyers won’t be paid unless your claim is successful, so you can be sure we are doing everything in our power to make your claim a success and your life better. We pay for all medical reports and strengthen your case because we understand the financial strain individuals are burdened with when out of employment due to an accident.

If you have any queries as to our no win, no fee policy, the injury compensation claim process or would just like to have a chat about your or a family members options after suffering an injury, contact our office on (02) 9299 1424. Remember, it’s better to know the facts rather than sit idle, as time limits do apply in NSW for car accident claims, trip and fall accidents, medical malpractice / negligence injuries, and slip and fall claims in shopping centers and other public / private places.