Around 1300 people die, and tens of thousands more people are injured on Australian roads every year while Australians pay in the vicinity of $700 for insurance for each car or vehicle they own. This is to make sure their doctors’ bills and any costs for rehabilitation are covered in case they are involved in an accident.

In NSW there are many people who don’t realise they may be able to claim compensation under the state’s motor accidents compensation scheme. The scheme doesn’t only cover anyone injured in a car accident – the compensation is available to passengers who might be injured in car accidents, cyclists and pillion passengers on motorbikes and pedestrians injured when crossing a road.

The scheme also covers people injured in accidents where the driver was at fault, if the car was unregistered, had no comprehensive insurance or where there is no information on the car or driver because they left the scene and it became a ‘hit and run’ accident.

Your personal injury lawyer would be well versed in the intricacies of motor accident compensation schemes in your state because of their training and experience, considering the amount of accident cases they deal with all the time. So if you’ve been injured in a car accident, talk to your personal injury lawyers about your compensation entitlements.

What Might I be entitled to if Injured in a Road Accident?

  • Depending on the extent of your injury or injuries you could receive a payment of up to $5000 immediately to cover your medical costs.
  • You could also make a claim for compensation for any loss of your wages if you cannot work, also loss of  superannuation and possible economic loss in the future.
  • You might be reimbursed for your health and medical expenses, including rehabilitation, and potentially compensation for any future medical costs as a result of your accident.
  • There is also compensation for any non-economic losses, which are those for pain and suffering and any loss of ‘enjoyment of life’.
  • Be aware that any compensation for non-economic losses can only be granted to you if you are found to be suffering from a ‘Whole Person Impairment’ of more than 10 per cent as a result of your accident.
  • You might be able to be compensated for your legal costs incurred as a result of the accident.

In NSW there are strict time limits or statutes of limitation that apply, as well as procedural requirements, when making a third party claim. To make sure you get the best results, PK Simpson has a team of expert motor vehicle accident lawyers who can assist you in navigating the system. Call us on (02) 9299 1424 or email